Here's Ogilvy's advice for video producers:
- Mention the brand early and often. Most people forget the brand, and even confuse you with your direct competitors.
- Show the package.
- Open with a splash.
- Try using sound effects.
- Talking actors are more effective than voice-over.
- Don't be afraid to superimpose words over your images, to reinforce your sales message.
- Make the visuals exciting. Or at least interesting.
- Changing scenes confuses people. Explain your transitions.
- Show the product being used.
- Be clear. It's easy for viewers to misunderstand your message.
These are great ideas from David Ogilvy, one of the legends in the field of advertising. And good software marketing advice for today's microISVs.